Sunday, April 17, 2011

A better mousetrap ... er, scissors

One minor issue I have when cutting glass fabric is the warps (individual bundles of glass fibers) are pushed around and distorted if I am impatient and push the blades of regular scissors into the fabric faster than I am shearing.  Dawna suggested trying one of these rotary scissors popular with quilt makers to cut the glass fabric.  I found it worked great.  I used a piece of aluminum bar stock as the base to roll over so I wouldn't tear up my work table.  Since the cutter rolls over the warps as it cuts, none of the material moves.  The result is a very clean cut with no distorted weave.  So far I have just cut straight lines in one of the directions of the weave.  But I think this will work just as well when cutting at an angle to the weave or along curves.  I am not sure how long this blade will last, but they are pretty inexpensive (at least compared to $50 a pair, industrial grade, fiberglass cutting shears).  Of course, when I am trimming glass on the hull and can't move the material to the work table, I just have to be careful with my regular old shears.

No comments:

Post a Comment