Thursday, November 10, 2011

The fairest of them all ... with ports

 I know it has been a while since I last updated our progress.  It's mostly been sanding and fairing, so not too much more to say that I haven't already.  The good news is I finished fairing the port float last weekend, and it looks great.  There is some minor touch up remaining on the deck, but mostly in the vicinity of the ports, so I decided to address these issues when I blend the ports in to the hull.  Fairing went somewhat quicker (or at least less painful) on the port hull.  I didn't do as many iterations of applying filler followed by sanding.  To summarize, I did the following:
1 - Fill holes and seams in foam,
2 - Initial fairing of foam with extra-long fairing board
3 - Fill significant low areas in foam and fair,
4 - Laminate outer surface and install bow,
5 - Skim coat entire surface,
6 - Sand with fairing board,
7 - Fill any remaining low spots,
8 - Final fairing pass.


 Here is another view of the port ports!  I followed the same basic steps I used for cutting the openings in the starboard float.  I am still working on blending the ports into the hull form like I did on the other float.  Once I get the epoxy putty shaped, I will apply glass tape on the inside and glass fabric on the outside to reinforce the openings.  Then this float goes on the shelf while we move on to the beams and main hull.



No comments:

Post a Comment