Sunday, March 18, 2012

Walking the plank, slowly

I'm still here, trying to make progress on planking the port side of the main hull.  Unfortunately, I am currently a mucus-dripping, head-throbbing, achey-all-over worthless lump stuck on the couch thanks to a late-winter cold.  Of course, last weekend I was dodging snow storms to get the planks I formed earlier glued together.  This weekend was perfect (at least until this afternoon with yet another winter storm on its way), and I was hoping to finish the lower port side planking.  Well, there is always next weekend ... achoo, sniff!

As you can see in the previous picture, I was able to glue together about eight feet of planking.  This section is mostly held to the frame from underneath with drywall screws.  I left a few clamping plates on the top side to keep things from moving until I finish the planking.  The fold under the gunwale (lower left in photo) is making a nice fair line.  I used lots of clamping plates along the seams while the glue set so the seams are very fair, making the entire hull fair.  I did have one plank snap on me while trying to glue the planks together.  It was pre-formed to the tight fold, but must have needed a little more heat to remove stress in the bend.  Thanks to the extremely forgiving nature of foam core, I was able to cut and form a new piece to fill in the section that snapped.  The curves match perfectly and this will all disappear in the glass laminate with no loss of strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment