Sunday, September 21, 2014

Possible toboggan runners?

 Once again I am fabricating the top inside edge foam corner fillets, this time for beam #2.  As before, it still looks like something related to winter sports when on the mold.  But I have no intention of sailing in cold weather, so the likeness is only coincidental!  The hard part of fabricating these pieces is bending the triangular foam section to fit the curve of the mold without twisting.  Last time I tried just using the heat gun to convince the foam to bend into the desired shape, which worked okay.  I still had to struggle to prevent it from twisting, and ultimately had to sand the edges square.  This time I tried something different (see below).  As before, I applied peel-ply to the glassed side of the fillets for better adhesion with less effort when I glass the interior of the beam. I chose to not peel-ply the top edge (on bottom between the mold and glass tape in this photo) this time because I felt the peel-ply distorted the flange too much.
 To bend the fillet this time, I tried kerf cuts in the top (narrow) edge of the fillets.  This allowed the foam to bend along the uncut bottom edge while the top of the triangular section closed the kerfs.  I made cuts every inch through the top 5/8-inch of foam.  Here is a photo to help clarify my description.  I used a hacksaw blade to make relatively wide cuts, giving the foam room to compress.  Only about 16-inches of the fillet needed the kerf cuts to take the shape of the mold.  I had to be careful when handling the cut foam since the cuts provided convenient fracture points (I only broke one of them, but nothing that epoxy can't fix!).  Then the fillet just dropped right into the mold with hardly any struggle.  And most importantly, there was no twist induced using this technique.  When glassing, I made sure I got plenty of epoxy between the kerf cuts to help hold the form of the fillet.  I will definitely use this method on the next two beams as well.
 And today I installed the fillets on beam #2.  I think these fillets came out much nicer.  The GRP flange is much more uniform and has a better shape that follows the top edge of the beam nicely.  Since the molded glass flange wasn't peel-ply'd on the outer face (now facing up and out), I will have to sand it prior to gluing the top on the beam, but that is easy to do.  A small price for a better formed flange.
And here is a view of the with the fillets installed from the other end.  Next step on this beam is to laminate the interior with glass.  Then a second layer on the interior sides and lots o' reinforcements.

No comments:

Post a Comment