Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bow compression beam complete

 We finished installing the bow compression beam last weekend. (Sorry for the delay in updates, I'm sure you could hardly sleep with anticipation!)  Here is a view from the open bow.  We pre-glassed the foam core and then cut it to fit.  The fit was snug, but not so much that it distorted the hull.  Then we glued it in place with a thin putty with some cabosil filler to prevent running.  Once it started to set, I added small putty fillets in the joints.  After the fillets started to set, I taped the beam on all sides to the hull.
The tape job requires a few complex wraps, cuts, and folds.  This tends to cause problems with tape fibers coming loose, resulting in a messy finish.  While looking at other blogs about F-82 construction, I came across a suggestion to cover tape with peel-ply until it sets.  So I tried it, and the result was fantastic.  The peel-ply held the tape edges in place and gave a seamless finish in the transition from tape to beam.  I'll keep this trick in my collection as I continue with the project.  Wish I heard about this idea when we were taping the gussets in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment