Saturday, January 22, 2011

Stern enclosed on starboard float

 We must be getting close to the finish on this float, since we closed up the stern.  To do this, I started by trimming the stern opening to lines I drew while the hull halves were still in the form frame.  Then I pre-glassed a rough cut piece of foam.  Once the stern plate was fully cured, I applied a heavy bead of putty both around the opening and on the plate.  I squished the plate on to the opening until it made contact on the high points (unfortunately my attempts at trimming didn't result in a perfectly flat surface, but that's what putty is for!)  In the photo you will notice I used three screws to hold the plate in place.  I was careful to not over tighten the screws so the plate remained flat.
While the putty in the seam set up, I moved inside and applied a small fillet of putty around the seam.  This may sound trivial, but the fillet was done partially blind through a small access port (see below).  Later in the day, after the fillet started to set, I taped the seam for strength.  Again, this was not a trivial undertaking due to the difficulty of access.  Nonetheless, with some patience and use of various sticks to reach into the pointy end, I was very happy with the result.
Here is the best view I had of the inside work in the stern.  In the mirror you can see my view of the stern plate from the inside.  Of course, I usually had most of my arm inside, which tended to further reduce visibility.  We are getting pretty good at this type of work, but I look forward to working in the main hull where I fit inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment