Friday, December 9, 2011

Finishing touches on access holes

I know it has been a while since I last posted an update.  There hasn't been too much done on the port float that wasn't already discussed when we were finishing the starboard float.  We finished trimming out the four access ports.  I applied the fairing putty around the ports to blend in the glass reinforcing.  Then winter showed up and dumped snow on us.  So I've been a little slow to get out and sand the fairing putty.  But I did start on it today.  Here is a view of the forward access port on the port hull after fairing. It looks pretty good, though I can still feel the transition from the hull to the reinforcing patch, so I will add a second pass with putty to the punch list.
Here is another view of the forward access port with the screw-in port cover dry fitted.  I think it looks great.  The slightly recessed support plate makes the port flow into the rest of the hull, almost professional looking!  You can see the other three openings in the background awaiting the same attention.  The next round of winter storms is expected next week, so finishing these ports is high on my to-do list for this weekend.  It actually only takes less then an hour per port, so no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment